Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Suggested Materials list for Workshop:

Watercolors:

M.Graham makes a nice line, but W&N are fine too.

Burnt Sienna

Burnt Umber

Ivory Black

Yellow Ochre

Ultramarine Blue

Anthraquinone Blue

Hansa Yellow

Quinacridone Red

Sap Green Permanent/ or Virdian


Gouaches: M.Graham

Titanium White

Ivory Black


Gouache Extras: Not needed, but nice to experiment with.

Daler Rowney Brand

Delft Blue, Neutral Gray 1, 2, 3. Warm Gray 1,2,3. Van Dyke Brown Hue


Watercolor Brushes:

Blick Master Kolinsky Sable Brushes work great!

Sizes 1,4, 6 Plus any kind of Synthetic blend Flat brush, 3/4 inch wide. (Robert Simmons Short Handle Sapphire Brushes work fine for flats.

Paper Blocks:

Fabriano Artistico Watercolor Block Hot Press 5"x7", 9"x12", Cold Press same size to see texture differences.

Drawing Tools,

Penicls - 2b, kneaded eraser, vine charcoal, pitt artist pens, fine tip and brush tip.

SketchBook (smooth paper) of your choice, not too small.


Water jar, paper towels.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I wasn't a plane ride away :). The list is great though. I always like updating my art supplies. Any chance you are making handouts that you could post online?... for money :).

E.Tiemens said...

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest in the materials and workshop. I know many folks live far away from Northern California, and that can make it a big hurdle to come out.

The good news is that I will be releasing, hopefully later this year a Gouache & Watercolor painting DVD. The focus will be on small quick sketch paintings and how you can plan for bigger works. The folks at the Gnomon School are helping me make this title a reality. I will post more info as we get closer to selling it.

Shane Pierce said...

I looked into flights out there - too much for now, but I will definitely get the dvds. Thanks for sharing your experience/teaching with us man!

E.Tiemens said...

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your interest in the workshop. I may do a workshop in Florida next year, I will keep you posted on that. Which makes it much closer for folks on the East Coast.

-Erik

michael mikolon said...

So I tried to get into your workshop, I was a little to late. It filled up fast, do you do this once a year? I live in Sacramento and so it is not to far for me, was there a huge over flow of students? Just a big fan of your work and would love to do your workshop some day. The material list is great to see, thanks for sharing.

E.Tiemens said...

Hi Michael,

If there is more interest for an additional Northern California workshop, I would like to consider one in the Bay Area next year. I will keep you posted. I think doing a plein air one would be good to do with concept artists as well as tradtional painters and perhaps a digital sketch class could be neat too. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your interest and sorry this workshop filled up so fast.

-Erik

Gerald de Dios said...

Erik, a Northern California workshop or plein air session would be great for this year. Many thanks! Congrats on the DVD.