Monday, April 19, 2010


Thanks to everyone attending this last weekend's workshop at Kevin Chen's Concept Design Academy in Pasadena, California. What a wonderful group of students and Kevin and his wife Estelle were terrific hosts. I enjoyed the Eaton Canyon location on Sunday's portion of the landscape painting/sketching workshop. Springtime near the base of the mountains provided us with babbling streams and shimmering leaves of sycamore to inspire us in our artwork. I will post some demos and quick sketches from the class soon. Here is the full picture of the painting I promised last week. This was also part of my slide lecture on the process of starting and completing a painting in gouache and watercolor. Later in the week I will show a collection of in-progress stills on this painting.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep running back to look at this over and over again. I love it so much! Thanks for posting the full image - can't wait to see the WIP stills!

Erik van Elven said...

So much detail, wonderful depth.
Looking forward to the WIP.
Are you going to release more Gnomon DVD's or has that been delayed?

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Erik for such a fantastic workshop! I left so inspired and ready to dive into some major painting. I was up in SF today and the sky was incredible! I got to do more studies. I'm definitely going to work at it as much as possible. Thank you for taking your time to give us all feedback. Your passion and hunger for painting is so admirable. I look forward to some future workshops.
Best Regards, Lidia

Shane Pierce said...

wow....beautiful, amazing depth - one of my favorites so far. great work man!

Valery Zrazhevskiy said...

Great work! And really want to see demos.

Jordan Lamarre-Wan said...

amazing! love your work!

Jason Scheier said...

wow!!!! D:

robin_chyo said...

wow, that's simply amazing! really nice job!

Anonymous said...

great piece

Zeljko Duvnjak said...

Very nice piece, like this palette:)

Christian Alzmann said...

Beautiful painting Erik!!!

i1van said...

Magnificent picture a great skill\великолепно !!!

Frone H. said...

Marvelous!

Anonymous said...

I love the drama of the darks in your paintings. If your ebook tutorial is available, I would like to check it out.

Hal

halsart@msn.com