Friday, July 13, 2012

Traveling on the east coast recently, I enjoyed the shores of Connecticut and trips to the British art museum at Yale, researching original watercolor and gouache paintings. In addition kayaking in southern Maine, Berkshires in Massachusetts and New York's Hudson river artist oasis at Olana, the home of Fredrick Church. The views from the home's windows were composed by the painter as the large creative 'castle' took shape. I highly recommend the journey to this scenic estate. Beach scene with umbrellas - study from a small pocket sketchbook. 2.5" x 4" - gouache and watercolor.

2 comments:

Koen Ivens said...

Hi Erik. very nice sketch. I love the east coast myself and was so lucky to visit the Yale center two years ago.
I had the chance of seeing and holding John Sell Cotman's "in Rokeby Park", one of my all tme favourite watercolours. And then there was Girtin, Cox and all the others. Wish I was closer to that museum ... Ciao!

E.Tiemens said...

Fanastic Koen that you were able to visit the Yale center too. Well worth the visit and what a treasure to view the originals. I really think the connection to the past is what makes our work relevant now. An artist to artist dialog that inspires and informs; regardless of time period.